Friday, April 8, 2011

Just another day at the (bush) office

As usual I get up at half past six. I help Niels to get dressed and at seven we leave for school. During the 6 kilometres long drive to the gate of the reserve we see impalas, guinea fowl and a jackal. The guinea fowl run in front of the car for a while as usual before they dash of into the bushes or realize that they can fly. Doves and hornbills fly up from the road when I approach and a squirrel runs off into the bushes. Once were on the paved road we see vervet monkeys at the side
of the road. It is a clear day and when I turn into the road to school in Hoedspruit we see the mountains in the distance. We wave to the lady at the gate of the reserve where the school is. Again we are on a dirt road, but not far this time. A few impalas graze at the side of the road and they briefly look up when I pass them. I am reminded of the time, not so long ago, that there were some wild dogs on this road. I park at the pre-school and walk in with Niels. He enjoys his time on this great school and with a last hug I leave to do some shopping. On the way back home I see zebra’s and giraffes in the reserve. Home I quickly do some office work and at 11 o’ clock CornĂ©’s parents come to pick me up already to get Niels from school. They stay here for two months now, in the house of our friends. Because CornĂ© is ill, I go with them to pick up Niels so he can show them his school. Dennis can also come and he loves it. At half past 11 we are there and while Niels shows his grandparents around Dennis starts playing like he is going to school daily. At 12 school is out en we go home. Again we see impalas and giraffes when we drive in the reserve.
That afternoon we take it easy. Dennis takes a nap as usual and Niels plays with his toys. Our guests are out for the day so it is quiet on the lodge.
Regards from the bush
Miriam

No comments:

Post a Comment