Monday, August 1, 2011

Homemade Dutch snacks

People regularly ask me “what do you miss from the Netherlands?” My answer is that I, besides my family and best friend, don’t miss anything. Still there are some things that I maybe don’t miss, but that would be very nice to have here. There are some products that you can’t get (or very difficult) here. Drop is one of those, and when we visit the Netherlands we always take back a lot of this typical Dutch candy. Sometimes guests bring with some drop for us and that is very much appreciated. This way we don’t have to miss this typical Dutch candy completely here in the African bush.
Something else that they don’t have here is kroketten (and some more of these typical Dutch snacks). A while back we visited a Dutch friend who surprised us with homemade kroketten. She gave me the recipe and last week I finally tried it. It worked out really well and the kroketten were delicious! I still have quite a few in the freezer so we can enjoy them some more before I have to make new ones. Because of this success I decided to try something else as well
and on the internet I found a recipe for typical Dutch sausage rolls from Brabant, the province where I grew up. Last week I made them and it was a big success, the kids love them too.
Off course they have nice things and recipes here in South Africa as well. For our guests we regularly serve a typical South African bobotie, an oven dish with spicy mince. Potjiekos (a stew) is another typical South African dish and off course a real braai (BBQ) is a must on the menu. As starter we serve for instance South African butternut soup but also a Dutch recipe for tomato soup. As desert, besides ice-cream and chocolate mousse, we serve for instance apple crumble or banana crumb-pudding.
Hmm I’m getting hungry from all those nice recipes, what shall we eat tonight…..?
Regards from the bush
Miriam

No comments:

Post a Comment